Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Let's talk about flip flop ditches.....and love...

For those who have not idea what a ditch is, I will attempt to explain.

 
Where two seams meet (for example between the gold and the coral on the left hand side of the coral square) the excess on the back is pressed either towards the coral or the gold.  This leaves a 'ditch' where the side that is pressed away from is lower than the other.  Now, for custom quilting, 'stitch in the ditch' is the first thing done to stabalize the quilt and make for crisp lines at the seams.  Stitch in the Ditch (SID) should never be seen - the most expensive part of custom quilting is invisible!! 
 
So - flip flop ditches.  If the seam is pressed badly, part of the seam goes one way, and the other part goes the other way.  This happens quite frequently on long seams, such as borders.  This makes doing SID well very hard, since it will be fairly obvious that the quilter has had to change the psoition of the ditch. 
 
So my point is that the time taken to make sure that seams are all pressed correctly will really help the final look of your quilt! 
 
 
The above picture was a square from a quilt that I made for a fabric challenge a few years ago and I love the colors.  I also love the Dresden Plate (the fan in the middle) and Simplicity Four is a Dresden Plate pattern.
 

Many years ago, before becoming a professional quilter my dearly beloved and I had a fabulous year at the SC State Fair.  I had a number of quilts entered and achieved first and second place ribbons.  But I was most excited about John's Dreden Plate quilt that he made and quilted himself.  He got a second place ribbon and was thrilled.  Pieces and Patches Quilt Store arranged to hang all the prize winning quilts (and there were a bunch of talented people that had earned ribbons!) in the Old Mill in Lexington, SC. 


So there was John's quilt - just hanging around.  Someone saw the quilt and approached John and didn't he just turn around and sell it!  So I had him make another one, which he finished the top and started the quilting, but never finished.  One day I will decide whether to finish it in his memory, or just bind it as it is and just remember him.  Happy memories.

I have finally put together the supply list for the placemat class - those attending will get the email tomorrow (my lovely assistant will oblige!). 


The colors on this one are a bit dated - I made these about 13 years ago!  So I am looking forward to making new ones for the class samples.  I made my aunt a set of eight with ladybird (ladybug) fabric and she has used them every day for the last 10 years.  Doesn't it make you feel so good when something you have made as a gift is so well loved and used!

As I was trolling through the pictures I came across the pictures I took when I was about half way through the process of renovating the house.

 
My office!

 
 The living room - I had hated that carpet for almost eight years!
 
 
Vanity unit gone in the guest bathroom.
 
So this is how it looks now - and I did it all by myself!!
 
 
New office - need to tidy up some!



I think the living room looks so much better with laminate floors - no more tacky carpet!
 
The new vanity in the guest bath - check out the wainscoating!
 
And here is the kitchen floor - I still need to sort out the painting and the baseboards and the paint!

 It's been a seriously long journey in trying to change up things and move in a different direction from where I was when John was alive.  Sometimes it was hard not to feel that I was removing him from my life, but he will always be in my heart.


 
So, just to end this on a positive note - I had a wonderful life with John and we achieved so much - and we planned so many things, some of which I will be able to carry through.  One of those plans was a book entitled 'The Quilted House'.  I want to give you a sneak preview of an idea that will be in the book - one of many, so watch this space!
 
 
Shower curtain - love those grommets!!
 
Bedtime folks - thanks for reading to the end of this long post - tomorrow is all about getting the PQ3K together.  Documentation, marketing, vending and most of all shipping.  Pictures by the end of the day!
 
So, the end of a productive day.  I had a long converation with a friend who has been a widow much longer that I have - we live, work, function and are for the most part contented, but we never forget and are always fighting loneliness - more than anything else we miss the partnership and the cuddles.  So love your partner and always say 'I Love You' at every opportunity and kiss and hug lots.  JB I miss you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment